No mode cookie
Jonny Quest Season 1 - The Curse of Anubis
© 1998-2011, Lyle P. Blosser, Craig Fuqua
Z-2, 10/2/64, 6/3/65.
Trivia and items of interest
- During the scene where Kareem's men enter the tomb to steal the statue, the set
of wooden doors appear to open of their own accord, with just the shadows of the
men touching them. Either this is a flub, or the door hinges are so well lubricated
that they will open when someone breathes on them. It's obvious that the effect
that was being tried for was to have the doors open without showing the men doing
it, but it didn't quite come off perfectly.
- During the scenes when the boys and Bandit ride on top of a truck on the caravan,
Bandit's normally-black mask around his eyes has been left un-inked. This flub can
be seen three separate instances: first, in the general framing shot of the truck
caravan including when the camera zooms in, second, in the closer shot where we
see Bandit, Jonny and Hadji on the truck, and third, in the closeup where just Bandit
and Jonny are in frame. (Thanks to "psyche78")
- In the desert, around the campfire, they hear a howling sound, and Race makes the
following comment: "Maybe it's that god Anubis looking for his temple." But it's
not the temple that's missing; what's missing is a statue of Anubis stolen from
- When Race is about to kill the scorpion with the whip, Dr. Quest doesn't act like
he's interested in the action -- he simply stares ahead, looking away from the scorpion.
- After Race kills the scorpion, we see Hadji saying "You got it!" but it's Race's
voice we hear.
- When Kareem draws a gun on Dr. Quest and Race in the tomb, it's a small caliber
pistol, with a noticeable barrel. Later, however, when they show Kareem's hand in
close-up, the gun is transformed into an even smaller Derringer-style weapon. Later,
it's back to the style with a barrel, again.
- In the scene with Jonny and Hadji on the scooter, when Jonny says "Looks like they
were trying to head us off at the pass", Jonny's shirt is drawn (or at least colored)
incorrectly. It's changed into a V-neck, and there's a line around his neck where
his usual turtleneck would be.
The "Nice Touch" Award:
- When the Quests fly to Egypt, they ride in an SST-style jet (they appear to be the
only passengers) instead of flying their own jet, and they leave from Washington
D.C. instead of a Florida airport.
- The Quests stay in an oasis, El Khabir, which is also the name of their hotel.
- Kareem has hidden the Anubis status "across the border", in the ruins at Ghiva.
When a scene shows a glimpse of a newspaper page containing the article about the
Anubis statue being stolen, did you ever look at the surrounding articles on the
page? Eric Diethorn certainly did, and writes:
In The Curse of Anubis episode, there are a few seconds
devoted to a newspaper article noting the theft of the statue. It has always intrigued
me a bit. I pursued it a bit after seeing Chris' [Chris Webber, of the
"From Palm Key" blog - ed.] reference to it sometime
last year. Attached you will find pictures of parts of two articles [see
links below - ed.] from the May 26, 1964, issue of
the Los Angeles Times. Look familiar? These articles, from page 5 of that issue,
frame the page on which the artists of this episode superimposed the item on Anubis’
theft. So, among perhaps other things, we may now know with some certainty when
this frame of the episode was created.
Note: Copyright restrictions prevent us from showing the complete articles here,
but you can see enough in the following images to confirm that these are indeed
the framing articles shown on the screen. (article
1, article 2)
Here are two screen grabs (image 1,
image 2) of the scene in question,
for those without a photographic memory, or a subscription to the L. A. Times.
When Dr. Kareem states
that the theft of the Anubis statue will be proven to have been caused by outsiders,
we see, in an extreme closeup, the flames from the campfire reflected in his eyes.
Or is it the flames of patriotic zeal?
The Award for Best Line:
When Jonny and Hadji
approach the tomb where Dr. Quest and Race are being held, Kareem shouts
and Jonny replies, "Sorry! Don't speak
as they zoom on by on their scooter.
The following scenes in the opening
and closing credits are from this episode:
- mummy walking and crashing through a wall (OC)
- three snakes crawling across the floor (OC)
- mummy lifting a man over its head (OC)
- roof collapses on mummy and man (OC)
- Jonny riding a camel (CC)
Link to the restored end credits
for the episode.
Jonny Quest and distinctive likenesses © Hanna-Barbera.
All other images, image designs and other image work on this site are
© ClassicJQ.com, © Hanna-Barbera or as
noted. Text content is © ClassicJQ.com, except where noted otherwise,
and may not be shared or re-published without the consent of the author.
This is strictly a fan-based site, and is in no way
affiliated with or approved by Hanna-Barbera or any other
organizations, unless specifically indicated otherwise.