Jonny Quest Season 1 - A Small Matter of Pygmies
Trivia and items of interest:
© 1998-2004, Lyle P. Blosser, Craig Fuqua
Z-13, , 12/11/64, not rerun during season.
- Race asks Hadji if he can levitate an object, and Hadji obliges, after a comment
to the effect that it has been a very long time since he's done so. Also, it appeared
to take a lot of concentration and MUCH more chanting than the simple (and usual)
"Sim sim sala bim"! In "The Robot Spy", however, Hadji rather easily levitates Bandit
while he sleeps - maybe it's easier with smaller objects.
- When Race pushes a boulder down the hill, we actually see him sweating with the
- We learn that the jewel in Hadji's turban is a ruby
The following scenes in the opening
and closing credits are from this episode:
- monkey on branch over jungle river (CC) (Also used in the episode "Pursuit of the
- The map on the wall reads "Brazil"; this is the spelling used in English, but the
map would likely read "Brasil" (Portuguese spelling) in the situation seen in this
episode. (Reported by John Boyd)
- There are two identical shots of an arrow hitting a log in front of Race sa he pushes
a boulder down the hill. Given that the arrow strikes the log the first time, it
should still be in the log a few seconds later when the next arrow hits as Race
rolls another boulder, but it's not. (Reported by John
Boyd) Actually this entire scene looks like it was simply "re-run" to
give the effect of actions happening more than once.
- At one point during the seige on the hill, Bandit peers from around the side of
a log, (to avoid arrows coming from the front, and a single arrow hits the log,
but not from the front where all the arrows had come from to that point, but from
the side, 90 degrees off (viewer right, Bandit left). Race, Jonny, and Hadji do
not notice this, and no further arrows come from this direction till much much later
in the battle. (Submitted by Kurt Gearheart)
- When the pygmy sneaks around under the basket, he apparently lifts it without using
his hands, head or back. (Reported by John Boyd and
- In the closing scene in the helicopter you hear everyone laughing including Jonny.
But at the same time you can see that Jonny's mouth is closed.
(Reported by John Clark)
- Pygmies are NOT to be found in the Brazilian Amazon. The worlds ONLY pygmies are
in the African Congo region. Zaire, Cameroon, etc. (And just for the record, they're
nice as heck, and very shy, and traditionally picked on by normal sized tribal people.)
(Submitted by Kurt Gearheart)
- The "worship of airplane" cults do (did) exist, however, they are (or were) located
in a few small Melanesian islands around New Caledonia. A result of Allied forces
dropping massive shipments of supplies to troops during WWII, some pallets of which
were accidentally found by the local primitives and attributed to the Gods being
pleased. Again, no such thing in the Brazilian Amazon.
(Submitted by Kurt Gearheart)
- When the undercover pygmy knocks the spear next to the fire, it catches flame, eventually
giving a sleeping native a very hot left foot. The native obviously screams in pain,
as he dances around with his LEFT foot in the air. Meanwhile, Race and the kids
(and Bandit, we assume!) run to safety, and in the next scene, we see the poor pygmy
sitting on the ground nursing his enflamed RIGHT foot!
(Submitted by William Halverson)
- Just after the pygmies capture our heros near the beginning of the episode, the
chief pygmy uses his spear to prod Race to walk. But as he does this, we see a shifting
of the white prongs on the spear. In the earlier medium-distance shot, the two prongs
point toward the pygmy, but in the immediately following close-up, they point toward
the tip of the spear. We don't actually see the person holding the spear in the
close-up, but since the head pygmy was closest to Race, it should be his spear in
both cases. (Reported by Psyche78 on the forum)
- Additionally, after the group starts walking through the jungle, we see that the
chief pygmy's spear has now changed so that the prongs point toward the tip (the
opposite of their previous orientation when we actually last saw the chief holding
his spear). Unless the chief changed spears (which seems very unlikely) this appears
to be another flub.
Link to the restored end credits
for the episode.
Link to some episode cel images
Jonny Quest and distinctive likenesses © Hanna-Barbera.
All other images, image designs and other image work on this site are
© ClassicJQ.com, © Hanna-Barbera or as
noted. Text content is © ClassicJQ.com, except where noted otherwise,
and may not be shared or re-published without the consent of the author.
This is strictly a fan-based site, and is in no way
affiliated with or approved by Hanna-Barbera or any other
organizations, unless specifically indicated otherwise.